[ddj] Join the OpenSpending data wranglers and help open up finances around the world!

Anders Pedersen anders.pedersen at okfn.org
Tue Jul 9 14:44:05 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Do you enjoy crunching government budgets? Do you like sharing your skills
for working with spending data? At *OpenSpending
<http://openspending.org/>*we are looking for volunteer
*Data Wranglers* to prepare and load data into OpenSpending and to support
community members with data-related issues.

How it works

As a Data Wrangler you will help prepare and upload data to OpenSpending.
You’ll work on things like:

   -

   Clean the data: Spending data often suffer from being messy and full
   of peculiar errors. You will be there to give the data some care and
   attendance with tools such as Open
Refine<http://schoolofdata.org/handbook/recipes/cleaning-data-with-refine/>
   fix the mess.
   -

   Sanity check: Sometimes a sanity
check<http://blog.okfn.org/2013/04/22/reinhart-rogoff-revisited-why-we-need-open-data-in-economics/>
from
   you is needed to confirm that the numbers add up and that the budget
   actually makes sense.
   -

   Format the data: You will need to fit the data for the OpenSpending load
   function <http://openspending.org/help/data-loading.html>.
   -

   Keep track of spending datasets waiting to be uploaded at the Progress
   Page <http://progress.openspending.org/>. At OpenSpending we would like
   to upload datasets quickly after their discovery.
   -

   Share tips and tricks on how to work with spending data with the
   community of users at our Data Clinics, trainings and Spending Data Parties.

Qualifications

The most important requirement is enthusiasm! In addition, if you know how
to use a spreadsheet and what a CSV file is that’s more than sufficient. We
have a strong community who can help you grow your data skills. Programming
skills and detailed knowledge of budgets is a plus but not required ;-)

We will provide a short induction on how to work with OpenSpending and you
will also have your peers in the data team to help out.
What does it take?

   -

   For joining the Data Team as Data Wrangler we ask you to commit 3-5
   hours per month.
   -

   We coordinate the work in spending data sprints, where you and the team
   upload a series of datasets within a designated period of time. By working
   in sprints you can contain the required workload, while still harvesting
   the benefits of working closely with fellow data wranglers via IRC, Skype
   and Hangout.
   -

   We will feature your profile on the OpenSpending site along with the
   rest of the Data Team.

The first training session for our team of Data Wranglers will take place
on *Thursday 18 July*, so register your interest as soon as possible!

To apply to become an OpenSpending Data Wrangler fill in *the application
form below* and we will get back to you as soon as possible. For questions
about what the role, get in touch!

See the link to the *full blog
post<http://blog.openspending.org/2013/07/08/join-the-openspending-data-wranglers-and-help-open-up-finances-around-the-world/>
 *or go directly to the application