[ddj] PewForum Global Religious Futures beta launched

Marc Garrett marc at intridea.com
Fri May 3 10:22:01 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your kind feedback. Responses inline. Disclaimer: while our company built the website, I don't speak for PewForum in any way.

--
Marc Garrett
CEO
marc at intridea.com
(o) 202.630.4123
Office hours for Gmail users: http://bit.ly/ssgyyO

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Daniel Schildt wrote:

> Futures project certainly looks impressive, even while there really could be a bit more data available in the future. Has PewForum considered partnering with other research makers to make more detailed details from the areas where they are not currently that active? Would be helpful in the long term.

PewForum's brand is based on their methodology and the integrity of their data. My guess is they would not include data on a Pew website unless they generate it themselves.

Are there specific areas where you seek data points and can't find them? I can take those requests back to Pew.

> Anyway, back to the site.
> UI feels quite easy to navigate and use. Data Explorer is fast to use.
>
> Things that could be improved:
> — Ability to view CSV data in the browser instead of directly downloading it to computer. Some sort of quick look to the raw data would be useful since some people might want to look it in tabular format without having to open separate program to do that.

Yep, great feedback and it's on the roadmap.

> General questions:
> — What sort of API there is to allow for easier integration to other systems?
> — Any sort of data discovery methods that could be done via API?

No immediate plans for an API. I think Pew wants to see how the information is used and then consider opening up the platform. There is some concern about people drawing spurious conclusions if the website isn't there to give context, especially given the sensitive subject matter.
> — Are there any list of CSV data sources in one long page / format (that would make it easier to find how much of different details there are available on the system)? "About the Data" page does not show that clearly what kind of details have been collected.

The goal of the "Data Explorer" landing page is to help you drill down into any dataset, grouped by subject. A long list of datasets is a good idea though -- I'll file a ticket.

Thanks again for the feedback.