[ddj] Visualising public spending in Bosnia and Herzegovina with budzeti.ba

Melina Borcak melinaborcak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 15:20:10 UTC 2013

Hello,

this is great! I wanted to see something like this for a long time. As a
Bosnian, it makes me depressed and angry to see what happens to our money,
but I guessed most of it anyway.

The first suggestion I have is that it would have been interesting to make
comparisons between the different administrative units easier.
I know how hard it is to get data about Bosnia, but now that you have it,
you should maximize the analysis options.
For example, seeing that RS spends over ten times more on the military than
the Federation is kind of disturbing, having in mind that Dodik rules the
place and dreams about separation. But now I saw Brčko District spends even
more on it, that's weird.

Second, it would have been great to have a clearer overview of what
percentage of the budget is spent on a certain thing. Because even if we
had the comparisons between the Cantons in one place, Sarajevo has a bigger
budget than all the others, so it doesn't really mean a lot to see we spend
more on something, the important part is how much more that is in relation
to the budget. (e.g we spend 12% on something and Tuzla only 2%)

Anyway, great work!
Greetings from Sarajevo,
Melina