[ddj] Visualising company networks using Gephi

Tony.Hirst Tony.Hirst at open.ac.uk
Fri Nov 15 16:41:29 UTC 2013

I just popped up a tutorial on how to get started visualising corporate networks with data from OpenCorproates using Gephi:

http://schoolofdata.org/2013/11/15/an-introduction-to-mapping-company-networks-using-gephi-and-opencorporates-via-openrefine/

The tutorial includes walktrhough steps on:
- how to get data out of OpenCorproates using OpenRefine
- how to get data out of OpenRefine in a form that can be opened in Gephi
- how to get started using Gephi to visualise the corporate network.

The tutorial covers process steps in getting the data out of OpenCorporates and into some sort of visual shape in Gephi.

Planned for the horizon are further tutorials about how we might actually start analysing these networks and what sorts of things we might use them to investigate.

If you can't wait, this post on “Drug Deal” Network Analysis  http://blog.ouseful.info/2012/11/09/drug-deal-network-analysis-with-gephi-tutorial/ may give you some clues about how to get started...!

Tony Hirst
Personal blog: blog.ouseful.info

Tel/SMS: +44 (0) 1908 652789
Lecturer in Telematics
Computing & Communications Department
The Open University
Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK
-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).