[ddj] PANDA: a Newsroom Data Appliance

Joe Germuska joe at germuska.com
Sat Oct 5 01:03:54 UTC 2013

Greetings, DDJ list.

PANDA is a tool to help journalists in a newsroom manage, share and search data files they have collected. PANDA is free to use. You can set it up in just a few minutes if you use Amazon Web Services, and it's not too hard to install on your own server if you are running Ubuntu. (It is not currently offered as a hosted service.) If you are interested in learning more about PANDA in general, please visit http://pandaproject.net/

We're in the process of finishing our last major task, which is making PANDA work in languages other than English. The technical work is done, but we could use help with the actual translations. Our German language translation is the furthest along, but it still needs many translations. There is a good start on Spanish as well, but it is not ready to use. We've set up placeholders for translation into Icelandic and Portuguese Brazilian based on inquiries we've had from potential translators.

We use a web-based tool called POEditor to manage translation into different languages. If you are interested in helping translate, you can join the project by visiting the two URLs below. (For technical reasons, the translations are split into two sets.)

https://poeditor.com/join/project?hash=054bd5e144f3846d89c35752ad2c5960
https://poeditor.com/join/project?hash=487a4fa3c3cb44db13578ce3947f549f

If your language is already listed, you can simply find missing translations and provide them, or review existing ones and verify them. If your language is not listed, or if you have questions about technical details about the translations, please either contact us on our User Group <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/panda-project-users> or open a Github ticket <https://github.com/pandaproject/panda/issues/>.  If you do a lot of translations, please let us know by one of those means, because we don't get notified about activity on POEditor.

We very much appreciate any help you can provide. Please feel free to circulate this request to others you know who might be interested in helping.

Thank you
	Joe
	(for the PANDA team)

--
Joe Germuska
Joe at Germuska.com * http://blog.germuska.com * http://twitter.com/JoeGermuska

"Participation. That's what's gonna save the human race." --Pete Seeger