[ddj] Terra Incognita: Call for journalists to participate in our user study

Catherine D'Ignazio dignazio at mit.edu
Fri Apr 4 10:09:42 UTC 2014

Hello all -

My name is Catherine D'Ignazio and I'm a researcher at the MIT Center for
Civic Media. We are trying to do some experiments in serendipity,
difference and online newsreading.

One such experiment is a news game and recommendation system called "Terra
Incognita: 1000 Cities of the World". It's a browser extension that helps
you read alternative news sources (local, alternative, fun or weird
information) about the top 1000 cities in the world. It uses automated
geoparsing for extracting geography and topic mapping to making bridging
recommendations between people and information.

We are seeking help in two ways:

1) Submit a city-specific link our database of geographic recommendations -
https://terra-incognita.co/1000cities
We have plenty of machine-recommended geo-articles but humans are much
better!

2) Participants for our user study - Sign up here---
https://terra-incognita.co/ -
Especially seeking journalists and people that care about international
information and public engagement.

Thank you for your time!
Catherine