[ddj] Financial Times Lex column data journalist job

Martin Stabe martinstabe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 10:25:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

My colleagues on the FT Lex column (ft.com/lex) are hiring a data
journalist. I thought it might interest some people on this list. The
full details are below, but please feel free to contact me if you
would like any more information!

==
Martin Stabe
Head of Interactive News
Financial Times
martin.stabe at ft.com
Tel. +44 (0)20 7873 4833
Mobile: +44 (0)7799 764576

http://www.ft.com/interactive
http://www.ft.com/ftdata
http://www.twitter.com/martinstabe

The Financial Times is seeking a London-based data journalist to work
on Lex, our agenda-setting column on business and finance, beginning
in September/October.

The Lex data journalist will have five core responsibilities:

1. Gathering, assessing and cleaning financial/economic/company
accounts data for presentation online and for use in Lex columns
2. Designing and producing graphics for use in the newspaper, online,
and in videos
3. Working with our developers to design, build and maintain
interactive data tools: IPO calculators, deal valuation tools,
sensitivity analyses, and so on
4. Managing Lex's social media presence
5. Learning a lot about finance with a view to becoming a Lex columnist.

We are looking for some combination of the following skills and qualities:

1. Knowledge of data manipulation/presentation software, Excel chops especially.
2. Experience in economic or financial research/analysis - knowledge
of accounting would be great, too
3. A keen graphical eye
4. Enthusiasm about the journalistic potential of social media,
ability to transfer said enthusiasm to grouchy old people
5. Sense of humor

Knowledge of HTML, CSS, Javascript and scripting languages is not
required. However, any experience in this area, or a demonstrated
interest in learning these web technologies, would be very positively
regarded.

Please email jobs.editorial at ft.com, cc'ing robert.armstrong at ft.com
(Robert Armstrong, Head of Lex) by August 31 with your CV, links to
your previous data visualisation work, and one suggestion for how a
recently-published Lex note could be improved with an interactive
graphic.