[ddj] Open data murder tracker in Trinidad and Tobago

Dan Nguyen dansonguyen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 21:00:37 UTC 2014

Hi Gerard, cool project and thank you for sharing it. Counting homicides
isn't easy and the data structure problems you ran into are common to most
such projects (Slate had a great writeup on tracking general gun deaths:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2013/12/newtown_anniversary_what_slate_learned_from_trying_and_failing_to_record.single.html
)
To solve your immediate problem, I would *do away with the "Toll"* column.
That column, as you've realized, will always fluctuate as murders become
classified/discovered/re-classified. Your spreadsheet should not have any
set order...because with a spreadsheet, you can reorder by column as you
wish, and you want to maintain that flexibility.

Now, in terms of creating a unique ID, I think your idea could work fine.
The key thing is that once you have set that unique ID *it must never
change*. It should be a value that has no real meaning, i.e. you'll never
show it outside of this spreadsheet. But ti's the key that you can use for
your own internal reference's sake.

An easy thing to do is to use this formula:

=CONCATENATE(TEXT(NOW(), "yymmddHHmmss"), "000", RANDBETWEEN(10000,99999))

This will take the current time and turn it into a string, which will be
unique enough if you enter in entries at a rate *slower* than one a second.
But just to make sure, we add a random 5 digit number to the end.

Now, this *unique id* should *never change*. So once you've generated this
number, *copy it, then Paste Special -> Paste Values only*

This will replace the *formula* that was in the cell with just the literal
value, i.e. that random number.

That's one way to do it. It doesn't even have to be that complicated, you
just want a reasonably good way of making sure all the numbers are
different, and the timestamp is reliable since your computer time (should)
never repeat itself.

*Other tips:*

- *You should maintain a field that simply records when you first entered
the data*. This is of course different than when the murder actually
happened. For even better record-keeping, you can have a second column that
you update with the current date anytime you make a change to an existing
record.
*   Tip*: If you click on a cell and then hit *Cmd-;   *the current day
will be entered into the field

*- You should avoid keeping multiple tabs: *Instead of having separate tabs
for "unclassified", "classified", "police killings", etc., you should
put *everything
into one sheet* and add a *new column* in which the value is either
"Classified", "Unclassified", etc. The most important thing about this is
that it keeps you from having to alter 3-5 different tables every time you
make a change to the headers. When you just need a certain kind of death,
you filter by that category column.

- *You should avoid removing rows - *If you take something out because of a
technicality...again, it's better to make a separate column...maybe
called *"Confirmed?"
*that it is either *true/false. *

It's always easier to filter columns, and *extremely hard* to reconstruct
data. You want to reduce the amount of clicking you have to do to organize
data in order to minimize the mistakes you make.

Adrian Holovaty, of Django and ChicagoCrime.org, has a great series of
articles on this topic of data integrity, though he's talking about a much
larger data set with different constraints. But the insights and advice he
has may still be useful:
https://source.opennews.org/en-US/learning/sane-data-updates-are-harder-you-think-part-2/#what-do-when-there-no-primary-key

Hope that helps!
- Dan