[ddj] Moscow Times data piece on language and ethnicity

Tom Hobson tomhobson at locusinsight.com
Thu May 1 11:34:43 UTC 2014

Using data evidence to expose the political myth being plied by Moscow that
language equals ethnicity.

An evidence piece from data visualisation studio Locus Insight. Read it on
http://bit.ly/1mymhlC
<https://www.linkedin.com/redirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbit%2Ely%2F1mymhlC&urlha
sh=M88e&_t=tracking_anet>

This opinion piece that I wrote for the Moscow Times involved detailed
research of census data for the countries bordering Russia's western
frontier. It was prompted by the regular assertions by Moscow that Russia's
interventions in Ukraine were motivated by their responsibility to protect
the rights of Russian speakers. But the research showed that in most cases
Russian language use does not equal Russian ethnicity or allegiance to the
Russian state.

I have a detailed data table and comparative thematic maps available which
were not published with the article.

If anyone is interested in accessing these just send me a message at:

tomhobson at locusinsight.com

Tom Hobson.