[ddj] Mapping event in Baltimore

Patrick Maynard patrickmaynard.bs at gmail.com
Fri May 2 00:31:09 UTC 2014

Hi Heather, Courtney and Chad.

Sorry for my slow reply. A couple responses:

*For Heather:* Very good points. Do you know how I can get on those lists?
I see some archived versions, but I'm not sure where the live one lives
or how to subscribe.

*For Courtney and Chad:* Glad to hear you're interested. I've added you to
my contacts list for the event.

Thanks for all the enthusiasm.

Best,

Patrick

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Louis Chad Smith <lcsmith at stsci.edu>wrote:

>   Hi Patrick,
>
>  I’m in the Baltimore region and would love to help out.  I also have a
> friend who is a bit of a local historian/photographer who would like to
> join the effort as well.  Please let me know if there is anything you need!
>
>  Chad
>
>  --
>  Chad Smith
> Information Application Developer
> Program Management Office
>
>  410.338.4317
> Space Telescope Science Institute
> 3700 San Martin Drive
> Baltimore, MD 21218
>

>   From: Patrick Maynard <patrickmaynard.bs at gmail.com>
> Date: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM
> To: "List about Data Driven Journalism and Open Data in Journalism." <
> data-driven-journalism at lists.okfn.org>
> Subject: [ddj] Mapping event in Baltimore
>
>  Apologies for the cross post, but I thought this might interest some
> users in areas near Maryland.
>
> After trying to convert a couple of projects to use OpenStreetMap data, I
> realized that Baltimore is a bit behind some of the surrounding metros in
> OSM detail.
>
> In hopes of changing that, I'm tentatively planning a mapping party for
> Saturday, July 12, starting in or near Patterson Park, depending on weather
> and interest from the community.
>
> This was originally going to be a bar crawl, but then I realized that it
> probably wasn't smart to have a bunch of random people drunkenly stumbling
> around the less-documented parts of Baltimore. So think of it as more of a
> picnic. (This is also a good time to mention that this event is in no way
> affiliated with my employer -- it's just for fun.)
>
> The OSM editing software is super simple, so even if you don't have any
> mapping experience, I'd love to have you here. (It's even more of a bonus
> if you get some people with GIS and/or programming experience, but it's by
> no means vital.) If you're interested, drop me a line, and I'll give you
> more details as the date approaches.
>
> Please feel free to pass this along to others. I'm at
> patrickmaynard.bs at gmail.com.
>
> -- Patrick

-- Patrick

http://baltimoresun.com/datainternship