[ddj] Snowfall-esque, long-form, immersive journalism tools and libraries

ericnbarrett at gmail.com ericnbarrett at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 13:29:33 UTC 2014

Sam,

We have been working on this for a little while:
http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en. The tool itself is open source and
licensed <https://github.com/JumpStartGeorgia/Interactive-Story-Builder>
and you can install it on your own server for your own needs. You can also
use our version <http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en> and export your own
unpublished stories and run them using your own CMS or put them on your own
web server.

Many people have been using it to build their own stories in a variety of
languages. You can definitely recreate NYTimes style long stories (I am
sharing a private URL to our *unpublished* demonstration since I don't want
to meet the NYTimes' legal team ;)
http://storybuilder.jumpstart.ge/en/review/970490867), so it should meet
your needs. Yes, it needs work, and we will develop it further as time
permits. (If anyone wants to help support that work, please let me know
:)).

We built it because a lot of journalists and storytellers are tired of
using third-party services to host their content. We also built it to speed
up our own in-house production of similar story formats.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Eric Barrett
JumpStart Georgia