[ddj] Politician data tools/sites

Matthew Linares matthew.linares at opendemocracy.net
Thu Aug 6 11:30:06 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I am looking for a few things which I think people here may know about. Any
leads will be most appreciated!

1) Good examples of platforms collating data on politicians (or
structurally similar subjects), particularly where those platforms enable
search and complex querying of the data. theyworkforyou
<http://www.theyworkforyou.com>, popit <http://popit.poplus.org/> (not
actively developed) are examples I know of, but I'm looking for best in
class projects from across the world, both active and otherwise, open and
closed source.

2) Anyone know why popit is no longer actively developed?

3) Developers and others involved in the making, maintenance or analysis of
this kind of software and datasets.

4) Aside from the datasets in use at theyworkforyou
<http://parser.theyworkforyou.com/>, useful sources of data (structured and
otherwise) on UK politicians. This may be significant data relating to them
explicitly as politicians, or referencing them as individuals in other
fields (e.g. opencorporates <https://opencorporates.com/> which might be
cross-queried with members data
<https://github.com/mysociety/parlparse/tree/master/members>). Alternately,
non-UK specific ideas about how to query data of this sort across domains.

5) Any good resources which detail developments and resources in this field.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Matthew Linares
Technical & Publications Coordinator
openDemocracy.net <https://www.openDemocracy.net>