[ddj] “That’ll do, pig. That’ll do.”

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Mon Jan 26 22:27:11 UTC 2015

Dear DDJ-ers,

[With apologies for any cross-posts!]

The reference in the subject line, see Babe, the Sheep pig
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112431/>! I had to use all of my restraint to
stop myself using the Douglas Adams “So long and thanks for all the
fish”, so I’ve gone for eclectic in a different way (watch the film, it’s
great!).

*I’m writing to update you on my personal plans: after four years at Open
Knowledge, I’ve decided it is time for me to explore new areas. *

As you can imagine, the decision was incredibly hard, as I have loved this
job, particularly the people it has allowed me to work with and the
projects it has allowed me to take on.

I’m not normally particularly verbose on mailing lists, so I hope you’ll
forgive me this one indulgence, as this organisation has been a very big
part of my life for the last 4 years.

When I started at Open Knowledge, you could count staff members on one
hand. I’ve seen the organisation grow enormously, take on all kinds of new
and exciting projects and I want to take a step back and think about what
should follow next.

I look back fondly to my first day in job, when I was introduced to the
command line to do “computer brain surgery” having never seen one before. I
have been immensely privileged to have a job which allowed me to do what I
love: “tech translation” - helping to make data and technology less
overwhelming to those starting out exploring it (hopefully less
overwhelming than cold plunge introductions to command lines :P) .

I leave the projects I have been working on in incredibly capable hands and
I look forward to seeing them flourish. Keep up the awesome work in
translating DDJBook - maybe on my death bed, we’ll have it in Esperanto!

I am going to miss working with you all every day immensely, but I will of
course stay an active community member, so I am not disappearing at all!

Should you ever need me, “ping” me (another phrase I promised myself I
would never use until I worked at Open Knowledge. It got me!) on
lucy at fedia.net - my inbox is always open!

This job will be a very hard act to follow in terms of dynamism, amazing
people and totally weird online Christmas parties and I will take forward
the fondest memories of everything I have learned here.

Until we speak next time, may our paths cross many more times,

Lucy

--

*Lucy Chambers*

Knowledge Director  | Skype: lucyfediachambers  |  tel (UK): +44 7909
330731  |
+49 1781427234

 @lucyfedia <http://twitter.com/lucyfedia>

Empowering through Open Knowledge