[ddj] Visualizing data on a map of Germany (county-level)

Randy Wright rw26 at lrw.net
Thu Jun 4 14:42:51 UTC 2015

I do this kid of work with leaflet by converting the shapefile to
geojson. When the geojson is loaded,
you get to set the fill color of each polygon and the properties are
exposed so you can can select a color based on a property in the geojson
file. The conversion of shapefile to geojson can be done with a ogr2ogr
in the gdal package (http://gdal.org). You can probably also do that
with qgis. (http://www.qgis.org/en/site/). I usually use custom node.js
scripts to put together geojson with related csv data.

Here are a couple of links:
http://triblive.com/news/healthnews/7694037-74/county-measles-percent
(bottom of page)
and
http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yournorthhills/yournorthhillsmore/7851465-74/exempt-property-tax

These maps are both taken from government supplied shapefiles.

Randy