[ddj] GUI database tools for newsrooms

Max Harlow maxharlow at gmail.com
Thu May 28 10:26:29 UTC 2015

Have had some success here with the Elasticsearch/Kibana combination too.

Recently we've been using Mode Analytics <http://modeanalytics.com/>. You
can plug in most relational databases, and it gives a good interface for
writing SQL queries, and then creating charts from the results or exporting
a CSV. Importantly, you can also make parameterised queries and share them
with others in your organisation, which just shows a text field, and then
inserts the contents into a predefined query -- letting colleagues not
familiar with SQL use a database. The tool sadly propitiatory and paid, but
they've been nice enough to give it to us for free, as we're a nonprofit
crediting them for stories where we use the tool -- if you're interested
email me off-list and I can put you in contact with the person there who
organised that for us.