[ddj] Budget visualization tool for journalists

Jason Norwood-Young jason at code4sa.org
Tue Mar 14 17:28:23 UTC 2017

Hi Daniel

Open source <> gratis. You can still charge companies for the tool, even if it’s open source. It’s still your software, your copyright and your property.

As someone who decides on software to buy on a business level, I’m very reticent to put money into any software that isn’t open source. How can I check for security vulnerabilities? What if the company goes under or stops supporting the software? How can I improve the software myself if I need a new feature that they’re not willing to build it? How do I integrate my existing software stack with this new software?

Imho open source is a much more attractive commercial proposition than proprietary. I’m quite happy to pay for commercial open source. And all the code I write is open source, and sold to companies.

Perhaps consider a dual license?

Kind regards
Jason