[ddj] Finding the Missing Millions - new handbook for investigating corruption in the oil, gas and mining industries

Sam Leon sleon at globalwitness.org
Wed Aug 22 13:34:26 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Heads up on a useful project Global Witness and Resources for Development Consulting have just launched for those of you keen on developing stories on corruption and tax avoidance in the oil, gas and mining industries...

Finding the Missing Millions<https://www.globalwitness.org/en-gb/campaigns/oil-gas-and-mining/finding-missing-millions/> is a handbook for rooting out corruption and tax avoidance in extractives industries.

The handbook includes 10 different methods for using revenue data (now routinely published by many extractives companies) to hold governments and industry to account, together with ‘real life’ case examples to show how this can be done.

Anyone with access to the internet and some spare time can carry out the methods featured in the handbook. We hope you will take advantage of this important new tool to make governments and companies accountable for vital public revenues.

We’re running a webinar in which we will demo some of the tests in the handbook on 26th September. Please save the date and register your interest here<https://act.globalwitness.org/page/28474/subscribe/1>!

Short video tutorials that demonstrate some of the methods featured in the handbook are available here<https://globalwitness.org/datahandbookhub>.

Credits

Finding The Mission Millions was authored by Don Hubert, Executive Director of Resources for Development Consulting<http://www.res4dev.com/>. The handbook is a contribution to Publish What You Pay’s Data Extractors programme<http://www.publishwhatyoupay.org/our-work/using-the-data/>.

---
Sam Leon
Data Lead
[cid:image001.png at 01D2B20C.10C45660]
PGP Public Key<http://bit.ly/selpgp> | Calendar<http://doodle.com/samleon>
T: +44 (0) 20 7492 5892 | Skype: samedleon | Twitter: noeL_maS<https://twitter.com/noel_mas>
Follow Global Witness on Twitter<https://twitter.com/global_witness> or Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/GlobalWitness> | Sign up to email updates<https://www.globalwitness.org/en/receive-email-updates/> | Donate<https://www.globalwitness.org/en-gb/donate/>
FIND THE FACTS | EXPOSE THE STORY | CHANGE THE SYSTEM