[ddj] London based data journalist/analyst role at Global Witness

Sam Leon sleon at globalwitness.org
Tue Dec 4 10:29:38 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We have an opening for a data journalist or analyst at Global Witness<https://www.globalwitness.org/en/>. Global Witness is an NGO that investigates and campaigns against corruption in the natural resource sector.

In recent years we have started to employ a variety of data wrangling and analytical techniques to enhance our investigations. See for instance this year’s Companies We Keep<https://www.globalwitness.org/en/campaigns/corruption-and-money-laundering/anonymous-company-owners/companies-we-keep/> report. The role will focus on supporting our broad range of research and investigations teams work more effectively with quantitative and digital sources.

For more information on the post and how to apply, please go here<https://www.globalwitness.org/en/jobs/data-advisor/>. Happy to answer any questions people have in the meantime.

Thanks,

Sam

——

Full job advert here<https://www.globalwitness.org/en/jobs/data-advisor/>

Location(s): London
Salary range(s): £39,570
Term: Full time
Deadline: Jan. 10, 2019

Person Specification

Essential

To be successful in this role you will have:

  *   Excellent data analysis and statistical skills
  *   Excellent data wrangling skills e.g. ability to extract, transform and process datasets for the purposes of preparing for analysis or exploration
  *   Outstanding data storytelling skills
  *   Good knowledge open source research techniques web based discovery, social media investigations and digital verification
  *   Experience designing and maintaining databases for research purposes and appetite for learning from data users about content and design needs
  *   Experience training people how to use digital tools
  *   Excellent chart production skills and ability to tell compelling data-driven stories with visuals
  *   Exceptional eye for detail and identifying patterns in datasets

Highly Desirable:

  *   Significant professional experience
  *   Frontend web development skills (esp. JavaScript D3) and the ability to produce custom data-driven interactives
  *   Knowledge of database query languages, specifically SQL and Cypher (Neo4J)
  *   R and or Python programming skills
  *   Geospatial skills and experience using QGis or ArcGIS
  *   Experience of analysing company accounts and associated corporate filings
  *   Knowledge of the corporate due diligence processes, financial fraud investigations or the extractives sector
  *   An interest in Global Witness’ issues e.g. human rights, corruption, climate change and environment.
  *

---
Sam Leon
Data Lead
[cid:image001.png at 01D2B20C.10C45660]
PGP Public Key<http://bit.ly/selpgp>
Skype: samedleon | Twitter: noeL_maS<https://twitter.com/noel_mas>
Follow Global Witness on Twitter<https://twitter.com/global_witness> or Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/GlobalWitness> | Sign up to email updates<https://www.globalwitness.org/en/receive-email-updates/> | Donate<https://www.globalwitness.org/en-gb/donate/>
FIND THE FACTS | EXPOSE THE STORY | CHANGE THE SYSTEM