[data.edu.au] OPDs

Christopher Gutteridge cjg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Nov 6 11:31:39 UTC 2014

Hello to my Austrailian peers!

I thought I'd share some of what we've been up to at data.ac.uk. First
of all, everything we do is Free & Open Source, so you can resuse,
improve or just study any bit of what we've done if that's helpful. I
hope that long term our tools, or their spiritual descendants, become
more generic and can be deployed more easily and widely.

The big news is http://opd.data.ac.uk/ which collects auto-discovered
open data profiles from an organisation. It's very simple, easy to
extend and allows systems to avoid having a single-point-of-failure
hub/aggregator.

Also we've negotiated with the people who run the .ac.uk domain and now
have access to the list of all domains, but not formal permission to use
it, just implicit. We've used this to build a tool which 'observes' the
homepage of every domain and collects some useful statistics and data.
We publish this as a big JSON file once a week, but don't do much with
it yet.
<http://observatory.data.ac.uk/> -- at some point we'll find the time or
help to build a real front end for it and I think people will be amazed
at how useful it will be.

Over the summer, we had an intern build an RSS aggregator over all of
the RSS feeds discovered by the observatory, and this simple but useful
tool is available at <http://rss.data.ac.uk>

Finally, we're coming to the end of our funding to launch and promote
<http://equipment.data.ac.uk/> which has been a distinct success, and
we're hoping that some similar project can keep the team funded after it
ends.

(other than equipment.data, none of this work is funded and is done by
me in between my "real" work.)

So, how's it going with  data in edu.au?

--
Christopher Gutteridge --http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cjg

University of Southampton Open Data Service:http://data.southampton.ac.uk/
You should read the ECS Web Team blog:http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/