[data-protocols] New Data Package Format

Eric Busboom eric at clarinova.com
Fri Jun 15 18:23:38 BST 2012

On Jun 15, 2012, at 9:54 AM, Eric Busboom wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Rufus asked me to move this discussion over to this list from the CKAN dev list -- apologies for the repost -- so, I'll repost the original message and then

Here is my reply to Rufus'  response to the original version of this message that was posted to a different list. ( Got that? )

--
On Jun 14, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> * CKAN datasets - datasets (metadata + possibly data) in a CKAN instance
> * "Data packages" as per http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/data-packages.html
>
>  I think we should focus discussion on "data packages".

I agree; the package format comes first, then figure out where and how it should be supported and integrated.

> This is a good thing as it shows there is real commonality
> here. This is also suggests that we could possibly combine the two!

Absolutely. At the very least, the structures can be be harmonized at some level.

> PS: re your source spec see https://github.com/okfn/dpm/blob/master/doc/new-plan-2011-nov.rst

Thanks;  I hadn't realized you also had a source format. It is really encouraging to see that two independent solutions to a problem have a similar structure -- means we're both on the right track.

I'm reviewing the dpm code and design while I work on our version. I'll get back to the list when we have some functional code and can start exploring what the two formats should share.

eric.

Eric Busboom, CEO, Clarinova                                               (858) 386-4134