[data-protocols] RFC: JSON Table Schema

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Nov 26 10:34:55 GMT 2012

Hi All,

I've been working on a simple schema for tabular data. The schema is
designed to be expressible in JSON.

http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/json-table-schema.html

This is still incomplete (e.g. need to have format specified in more
detail) but I'd be very interested in any feedback or thoughts (e.g.
is this re-inventing the wheel - if so what is better?).

Regards,

Rufus

## Background

In many ways this is just an extraction, with some refactoring, of
what was in the Simple Data Format spec:

<http://www.dataprotocols.org/en/latest/simple-data-format.html>

Splitting out into its own mini-RFC is good because smaller pieces are
more useful and it makes it re-usable (e.g. can be used from the data
packages spec).

Real world use: something very like this is used in ReclineJS:
<http://reclinejs.com/docs/models.html#field> and also in the CKAN API
<http://docs.ckan.org/en/ckan-1.8/datastore-api.html