[data-protocols] Alternative Java Library

Xavier Badosa xbadosa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 20:04:15 BST 2013

Rufus,

Note that I said "not very" international-friendly. The reason is: CSV is
not actually a standard, or at least it's a format that comes in many
(local) flavors. Local CSV-clients tend to acknowledge this and favor the
local CSV flavor.

The fact has not to do with UTF-8 but with separators: many (most?)
mainland European countries use the comma as decimal separator, so CSV in
those countries (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc.) usually don't use the
comma as the column separator (see this Italian
example<http://www3.istat.it/strumenti/definizioni/comuni/elenco_comuni_italiani_30_giugno_2011.csv>).
There's a good reason to use the local convention as the local version of
clients like Excel will assume the local flavor.

X.