[datahub-discuss] Lot's of eggs, but where is the chicken? Foundation of a Data ID Unit

Sebastian Hellmann hellmann at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Thu Apr 17 13:29:18 UTC 2014

Dear all,
I would like to wish you a Happy Easter. At the same time, I have an
issue, which concerns LOD and data on the web in general.

As a community, we have all contributed to this image:
http://lod-cloud.net/versions/2011-09-19/lod-cloud.html  (which is now
three years old)
You can see a lot of eggs on it, but the meta data (the chicken) is:
- inaccurate
- out-dated
- infeasible to maintain manually
(this is my opinion. I find it hard to belief that we will start
updating triple and link counts manually)

Here one pertinent example:
http://datahub.io/dataset/dbpedia
-> (this is still linking to DBpedia 3.5.1)

Following the foundation of the DBpedia Association we would like to
start to solve this problem with the help of a new group called
DataIDUnit (http://wiki.dbpedia.org/coop/DataIDUnit) using "rough
consensus and working code" as their codex: http://wiki.dbpedia.org/coop/

The first goal will be to find some good existing vocabularies and then
provide a working version for DBpedia.
A student from Leipzig (Markus Freudenberg) will implement a "push
DataId to Datahub via its API" feature.
This will help us describe the chicken better, that laid all these eggs.

Happy Easter, all feedback is welcome, we hope not to duplicate efforts.
Sebastian

--
Sebastian Hellmann
AKSW/NLP2RDF research group
DBpedia Association
Insitute for Applied Informatics (InfAI)
Events:
* *21st March, 2014*: LD4LT Kick-Off
<https://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt/wiki/LD4LT_Group_Kick-Off_and_Roadmap_Meeting>
@European Data Forum
* *Sept. 1-5, 2014* Conference Week in Leipzig, including
** *Sept 2nd*, MLODE 2014
** *Sept 3rd*, 2nd DBpedia Community Meeting
** *Sept 4th-5th*, SEMANTiCS (formerly i-SEMANTICS) <http://semantics.cc/>
Venha para a Alemanha como PhD: http://bis.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/csf
Projects: http://dbpedia.org, http://nlp2rdf.org,
http://linguistics.okfn.org, https://www.w3.org/community/ld4lt