[datahub-discuss] Introducing some metadata and muself

P. Harry E. Coenen pharryecoenen at aol.com
Wed Jun 3 15:05:59 UTC 2015

Thanks for the hacklay list link.
This might not be the right list for me, but I'll will see.

Ideally the sites turn the harvester on themselves and provide metadata not only embedded as JSON in their pages, but also as a full list of each and every dataset, preferably a database that can also be queried remotely

Yes, TRUD is not ideal, you have to provide a 'business case' for most subscriptions, and check all the terms boxes for each subscription (100+).
There's an ftp site too, which again needs a business case (they refused mine for that recently, so have to try again). I advocate the ftp site should be open

Have seen your and yours scrapers, from which I learned about the embedded JSON at HSCIC;^)
Not really a need to host the data yourselves if you can provide links that persist (a while).
I pull it all down, as I load some of it on my DBs and reorganise it to enable cross-referencing, and (from experience) want to have a save copy when I use it for analysis to avoid getting caught by unannounced modifications.

Strangely health data has the tendency to start morphing, just by people looking at it, even becoming slightly schizoid when accommodating different groups like a few trusts doing a HES-refresh before the HES-extraction date and a 'defresh' after the HES extraction date.

Cheers