[drn-discuss] Musings on an open knowledge movement

Cory Doctorow cory at eff.org
Thu Jun 2 09:01:24 PDT 2005

EFF has a project underway to create a list of activist groups around
the world, with URLs. It's a small first step, but one that,
incredibly, no one has done yet. If anyone here is interested in
collaborating with EFF on this, I'll be happy to connect you with the
people on this project.

Cory

On Jun 2, 2005, at 4:57 PM, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> Tom Chance wrote:
>
>> Ahoy,
>> After various discussions, culminating in a really good chat with
>> Rufus last night, I've put together a collection of thoughts on an
>> "open knowledge movement".
>> Have a read, distribute and comment away:
>> http://tom.acrewoods.net/node/92
>>

> First off a big thank you for producing such a coherent and
> comprehensive analysis. There had been some discussion of similar
> issues back in February after the first Copyfighters event (I've
> just posted a long email i wrote during that discussion here:
> http://www.okfn.org/drn/node/57) but that thread never resolved on
> a plan of action. There's also the OKFN governance document that
> lays out a formal structure quite similar to what you suggest:
>
>   http://www.okfn.org/governance.html
>
> Like you I strongly believe that to make progress we can't simply
> wait for some well-funded central group to spring into existence to
> coordinate the current disparate activities (and this isn't the
> case in the US either for that matter: look at freeculture or
> downhillbattle). It is also important to preserve the autonomy and
> freedom of individual groups (at least those who want to remain
> that way).
>
> At the same time, like you, I think it is *essential* that there be
> some kind of central system of coordination. An executive would
> also be useful though might be more controversial.
>
> I think it is really interesting to see that this kind of setup has
> already been successfully done in the environmental movement in
> groups such as People and Planet. Thus there's no reason it can't
> be done here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rufus

Cory Doctorow
European Affairs Coordinator, Electronic Frontier Foundation
cory at eff.org
www.eff.org

UK: +44.798.607.2869
Unit 306