[drn-discuss] Fwd: Update from Jamie Love on the 'casting treaty

Michelle Childs michelle.childs at cptech.org
Tue Sep 20 06:41:29 CDT 2005

Hello

I am Cptech's Head of European Affairs based in London. I am working on a
letter to the EU Commission official dealing with this ( Tilman Lueder)
objecting to the proposal. (copying to MEPs and to the UK as President.)
We want to get the letter out quickly  i.e tomorrow as things are moving
so fast at the Commission level, but I will post a copy to this list and
we would be grateful if you could forward to any of your contacts .  Any
pressure that you collectively or individually could bring on this issue
would be really helpful and is needed now.
Best Wishes
Michelle Childs

> This looks like something that needs urgent action, if things are not to
> go seriously off the rails -- it looks like there is very heavy pressure
> from the U.S. for heavy new rights for broadcasting and internet-casting
> intermediaries.
>
> It's being argued that these are necessary to allow broadcast (and
> internet-casting) organisations to go after people descrambling and
> selling on the descrambled signals to non-subscribers without
> authorisation; in particular, so that the 'casting organisations can
> prosecute for infringement of the content, regardless of the desires or
> interests of the underlying copyright owners.
>
> This goes beyond measures on direct signal piracy, apparently allowing
> broadcasters e.g.:
> -- to prevent adverts being filtered from their broadcasts by personal
> PVRs; and e.g.:
> -- giving them new content rights on public-domain or copyright-expired
> materials
>
> Taken to its most extreme, the latter may even cover eg right-clicking
> to save an image in a web-browser (or working round some javascript that
> stops you doing so), if the page provider doesn't want you to, even if
> the underlying material is out-of-copyright ((less likely, even for old
> historic documents, because there are probably rights in the
> digitisation)); so perhaps more significantly, even if material has been
> made available by the original content-owner for free open public use.
>

> The treaty is going through via a classic "negotiate at a high level,
> don't tell anyone what's going on, then tell parliaments what they have
> already signed up to" process.
>
> It would be worth finding out whether the UKPO (as the responsible bit
> of the civil service) has any briefing (and also, whether it has carried
> out any public consultation), whether any of the political parties have
> it on their radar, and whether any organisations with a belief in the
> public domain could be interested -- the BBC open archive project would
> seem to be a particularly interesting potential stakeholder; but
> libraries, and other organisations publishing into the public domain for
> public use could also have strong interests.
>
> Also, there's the question of whether users should be allowed to use
> their own permanently downloaded signals however they want for their own
> personal use, without broadcasters or internet casters (as well as
> content owners) being able to limit their options.
>

> The EU (presumably Commission + Presidency (UK) + Working Group of civil
> servants from member states) is expeced by the US to change its public
> position very soon.
>
> Time to get out a heads-up briefing for the UK ?
>

> Here's the briefing from Jamie Love on what CPTech's been doing, and
> what it's learnt, from the US:

Michelle Childs -Head of European Affairs
Consumer Project on Technology in London
24, Highbury Crescent, London, N5 1RX,UK.
Tel:+44(0)207 226 6663 ex 252.
Mob:+44(0)790 386 4642. Fax: +44(0)207 354 0607
http://www.cptech.org

Consumer Project on Technology in Washington, DC
PO Box 19367, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Tel.:  1.202.387.8030, fax: 1.202.234.5176

Consumer Project on Technology in Geneva
1 Route des  Morillons, CP 2100, 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland
Tel: +41 22 791 6727