[drn-discuss] UKPO consultations

David M. Berry d.berry at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 11:55:08 CDT 2005

> ok, there's a productive way forward -- let's just dismiss the entire
> discipline of economics as having anything to contribute here. i
> can see
> that would encourage politicians to take us seriously.

This is a straw man that nobody had suggested.

>> I write to critique.
>>

> unfortunate that you often seem to provoke as well.

Well, that can be a side effect.

>> Yes but those policies require political decision to be taken. The
>> question of social welfare is not, nor could it be, the domain of
>> economics.
>>

> there are certainly economic tools that can help in trying to
> measure it.

Measuring it is one thing we could argue about (and methodologically
very problematic in itself - anyway considering that economics is
less about empirical measurement and more about building economic
models this isn't the point).

>> To think that you can make economic decision divorced from
>> politics is
>> neo-liberal and simplistic.
>>

> and a straw man which nobody here had suggested.

You suggested that we:

>> develop policies that have the slightest hope of increasing
>> investment/jobs/etc, even before wider considerations of social
>> welfare
>> are taken into account

How exactly can you separate these two fields of enquiry?