[ECODP-dev] EC ODP New tickets wrt security

Darwin Peltan darwin.peltan at okfn.org
Wed Dec 12 13:15:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

We've had a look at these tickets and have the following comments.

User reset and list of users

   - We’ll remove the password reset functionality. (Ops manual would need
   to give users contact details for an admin who can reset their password)
   - We'll remove the list of users (note this isn't really a security
   issue, most webapps expose the users username e.g. twitter, github etc)

Limiting the rate of login attempts

   - We would suggest limiting the amount of attempts that one IP address
   can make via Nginx. This would make a brute force attack very slow. I.e.
   one login attempt per second per IP. 10F can set this in the NginX config
   using this module http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpLimitReqModule
   - As a second step the EC should monitor if certain IP's are making
   excessive failed login attempts
   - The EC can also improve security by choosing strong passwords when
   creating user accounts. There is no limit on the password length so they
   could follow best practice and give users passphrases (with
   capitalisation/special characters etc) rather than single word passwords.
   This would make a brute force attack very difficult.

John works from Monday to Wednesday so he will start work on removing the
user reset and the list of users next week. However with the meeting on
Wednesday we probably won't be able to provide a new release until January.

Bert - I'm afraid we weren't quite clear what the issue was that you
referred to in your email about restricting access to the API. Is
everything consistent with this document?
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B8mD0VAT9tXFOWJaQVMzbGpjcUU/edit?docId=1DiUoIprVorP4_4umSy4LnjedegSmuI62tBH6jucS0jE

Best,

Darwin

Darwin Peltan