[ECODP-dev] Fwd: Re: nginx & ip hash

Bert Van Nuffelen bert.van.nuffelen at tenforce.com
Thu Oct 3 13:44:54 UTC 2013

Hi John,

I think our question is much more, like this:

* is the above statement relevant?
* In which case is it relevant. i.e. does the current setup requires to
take this remark into account.

kind regards,

Bert

2013/10/2 John Glover <john.glover at okfn.org>

> Hi Dimitrios,
>
> What details do you need? The note seems quite clear. If you have removed
> NGINX then you will need to set up a similar rule for whatever is replacing
> it as a load balancer.
>
> Regards,
> John
>

> On 1 October 2013 10:46, Dimitrios Mexis <dimitrios.mexis at tenforce.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hello John,
>> can you give more details regarding to the following paragraph in System
>> Operation manual [remind : nginx is not shipped with release 01 ]
>>

>>> are you aware of this paragraph in system manual ?
>>> what is the implication to remove it for release 01 ?
>>> what can we say alternatevely for the situation without nginx ?
>>>

>>> *Note*: as we now have to store information in the beaker session, the
>>> CKAN instance frontend will need to be able to read this data for a user to
>>> remain logged in. So if using multiple frontends (load balanced), then
>>> either they will all need to share a session directory, or IP-hashing
>>> should be enabled at the proxy so that requests from the same IP address
>>> are sent to the same frontend.
>>> IP hashing can be enabled in NGINX by adding 'ip_hash' to an upstream
>>> block. See http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpUpstreamModule#ip_hash for more
>>> information:
>>>

>> Regards
>> Dimitrios

Bert Van Nuffelen

Semantic Technologies Software Architect at TenForce
www.tenforce.be

Bert.Van.Nuffelen at tenforce.com
Office: +32 (0)16 31 48 60
Mobile:+32 479 06 24 26