[ECODP-dev] adding a resource to a dataset in the web interface

John Glover john.glover at okfn.org
Mon Oct 14 13:16:53 UTC 2013

Hi Bert,

Regarding the questions in this document:

> Any default values?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the only value that is set by
default when the form loads is that the Resource Type is the first value in
the list ("Documentation: Main"). There are no defaults in CKAN internally.

> Is Name mandatory?

No, URL is the only required field. If you do not set a name then the value
'Web Page' is displayed when the resource is viewed (but this is not stored
in the database).

> Why if you fill in the name the description is set as title?

The current behaviour is to display the description as the 'display name'
if available (truncated to a max of 55 characters), and then to use the
name if not. I do not remember the exact reason for this behaviour, but I
believe it was due to the fact that many resources did not have
human-readable name values (eg: UUIDs or similar).

Regards,
John