[ECODP-dev] adding a resource to a dataset in the web interface

John Glover john.glover at okfn.org
Mon Oct 14 13:45:46 UTC 2013

Hi Bert,

On 14 October 2013 15:36, Bert Van Nuffelen
<bert.van.nuffelen at tenforce.com>wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Did you play the scenario?

Yes.

> 2013/10/14 John Glover <john.glover at okfn.org>
>
>> Hi Bert,
>>
>> Regarding the questions in this document:
>>
>> > Any default values?
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by this, but the only value that is set by
>> default when the form loads is that the Resource Type is the first value in
>> the list ("Documentation: Main"). There are no defaults in CKAN internally.

because if you look at the steps you will see that all of a sudden the
> description field has a value...

This is not clear at all from the slides. The slide that has a description
value is called 'Add name and description', so I assumed that the
description was manually added. Is this not the case? I cannot recreate the
steps to get a description that automatically appears like this.

>> > Is Name mandatory?
>>

>> No, URL is the only required field.
>>

>> If you do not set a name then the value 'Web Page' is displayed when the
>> resource is viewed (but this is not stored in the database).
>>

> Is this not a definition of a default value?

That depends on how you want to define it I suppose. There is nothing
stored in the database, so to me there is no actual value (but something
user friendly is shown at display time). But we can call it a default value
if you prefer.

>> > Why if you fill in the name the description is set as title?
>>
>> The current behaviour is to display the description as the 'display name'
>> if available (truncated to a max of 55 characters), and then to use the
>> name if not. I do not remember the exact reason for this behaviour, but I
>> believe it was due to the fact that many resources did not have
>> human-readable name values (eg: UUIDs or similar).
>>

> So if I enter a name I should see it on the screen?

If there is no description, yes.

Regards,
John