[ECODP-dev] Dataset usage statistics

John Glover john.glover at okfn.org
Thu Oct 17 10:16:34 UTC 2013

Hi Agnieszka,

> **
>
>  I cross-checked the stats with the results of "the most viewed" dataset.
> The outcome is quite curious: the number of views corresponds to "total
> view" from ckan report however how datasets are selected for display in
> this column is a complete mystery – they seem like randomly selected (see
> in attached file). Any idea why?****
>
>  ** **
>
> Yes, there is a bug in the current query (see ODP-291 on Jira) that is
> incorrectly filtering using the date that the tracking data for each
> dataset was updated. In effect, I think that you are only seeing datasets
> that were actually viewed in the previous day (as opposed to the highest
> view count up to the previous day, regardless of when it was last viewed).
> ****
>
> I know it will change in 1.00. It would be great if you could provide us
> some information how it is expected to work while taking info from Solr.

In Release 1.00, when the search index is updated, as part of its metadata
each dataset also stores the most recent values of running_total and
recent_views from the tracking summary (which itself is updated when you
run the paster tracking update CRON job). When viewing the home page, we
therefore no longer have to query the database to get these view counts, we
get this information straight from the search index. This is why you will
need to update the search index now in order for this data to be updated.

The actual process of recording page views and updating the tracking
summary data internally remains unchanged (this is what you see when you
run the stats export script).

Hope this helps.

Regards,
John