[ECODP-dev] Production database size

John Glover john.glover at okfn.org
Mon Sep 30 13:22:48 UTC 2013

Hi Dimitrios,

Oh I see. No this data should not be produced by clients that are doing
simple reads of data such as crawlers. It is produced by changes to
datasets and resources, in particular the twice daily update of all
Eurostat resources is likely to be the main producer of data.

No the purge command just does a SQL delete, so they should not need
exclusive access to do this. If they want to run a full VACUUM afterwards
then they will need a lock on each table, so it would be best to make sure
that the old extensions have been removed first (so that they are not
trying to write more data during this process) [1].

I am not sure how long it should take to run, there are a large number of
factors involved there. It is probably best to try it on a test instance
and see.

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-vacuum.html

Regards,
John