[epsi-coord] Update from OKF

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Mar 9 14:12:00 GMT 2011

Hi all,

We've now established that from the OKF's end the core people working
on ePSIplatform will be:

  * Daniel Dietrich - WP2/WP3 - main OKF contact person
  * Antti Poikola - WP2/WP3
  * Jason Kitcat - WP1 / management / oversight from OKF's end

Taking into account the re-allocation of the technical work and
reallocation of times for advisory board meetings, we have €21,562.50
per year for two years, which is approximately 28.75 days (around 0.5
days per week) at the agreed rates [1]. Due to budget constraints, I
will not be able to play a significant role in this project, but will
be keeping tabs on what is happening and liaising closely with folks
at our end. Antti, Daniel and Jason are currently figuring out what we
are going to be best placed to contribute to - and suggest you try and
catch up with them directly.

Regarding weekly calls, as you can see from the figures above, if we
were to participate in every call - this could (prima facie)
immediately take up around a quarter of our weekly time, so as it
stands we're not going to be able to make it to every call. At the
meeting in Berlin we discussed re-allocating around 1.5d from other
project partners to the OKF on the 'progress monitoring' line (line 21
of 'fees' sheet of [1], where it says this is for "1 hour per week"
calls) so we'd also have around 7 days and then could participate more
regularly. Has anyone had any further thoughts on this?

Either way - we'd be grateful if you could use the epsi-coord list for:

  (i) internal communications for the project, so we can keep tabs on
what is happening, even if we can't make every call
  (ii) call reminders - so that we can try and make it if we can
  (iii) any notes/summaries/action items from physical/virtual
meetings - so we can try and stay in the loop as much as possible

Regarding the meeting in Luxembourg, I'd like to explicitly request
that you make it clear to the Commission that we would *really* like
to come, but we have not been allocated any time for attending this
meetings as part of the project [1]. Not to raise this as an issue,
but just in way of explanation as to why OKF will probably not be able
to make it every time. I'm now in touch regularly with Richard and
others at the EC about other matters, but it would be really useful if
you could make this clear to them, in your capacity as members of this
project!

Above all else I should emphasise that it is *great* that the ball is
now rolling, and we're *really* excited to participate! :-)

All the best,

Jonathan

[1] From: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjHzTRGnQYBXdDNjeTVHS1BlSlctZnNFRjJyNjhOd2c&hl=en_GB#gid=2
- which is the latest version of the budget, as discussed and revised
in Berlin
[2] cf. 'fees' sheet of spreadsheet [1], which says "5 working
meetings of team in Luxembourg (1 per report and kick-off meeting)"
and shows '0' for OKF and '5' for everyone else

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation