[euopendata] Licences for Public Sector Information: EUPL.. ODBL

Peter Krantz peter.krantz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 16:09:59 UTC 2010

On Friday, July 9, 2010, Antti "Jogi" Poikola <antti.poikola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One ministry working group in Finland suggest wide adobtion of EUPL -license [1] or similar for the public sector information resources. Any thought on that?

EUPL is for software and is irrelevant for data. A suggestion is to
minimise license prolifilation and go with existing licenses if
possible. Two likely scenarios:

1. The government has created the data and has copyright. Renounce it with cc0

2. The government has data someone else created where copyright
expired. Look at public domain declaration (I.e. no license but info
about it being free to use)

Regards

Peter