[euopendata] To all Danes on this list: DK Science Ministry to move ahead with Open Data.

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:53:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I just had a phone call with Cathrine Lippert of the Danish ITST/Ministry of
Science, the group that is working on open gov data / psi in Denmark. She
pointed me to something interesting. Her new minister posted a comment in
the blog of a data-journalist on June 4th that is worth general attention:
http://ernstpoulsen.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/hvad-skal-netmedierne-med-støtte/<http://ernstpoulsen.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/hvad-skal-netmedierne-med-st%C3%B8tte/>

(scroll down until you see Charlotte Sahl-Madsen's comment. She's the
Science Minister in DK.) She writes (Google translation, emphasis mine):

<http://ernstpoulsen.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/hvad-skal-netmedierne-med-st%C3%B8tte/>

In Denmark, we could also usefully develop a plan for how we can exploit
public data as a raw material for strengthening:

- Innovation and business growth
- Information, transparency, democracy and participation
- Better public information, and service

It should of course just thought through how we make the most appropriate.*But
conversely, it's also important to move things.** **Therefore I have decided
that we in my area take our own medicine by going ahead and during the year
to open up and showcase all our data sets that are not covered by
confidentiality and privacy constraints.*

We have also started to develop guidelines and recommendations to other
government departments so that they - like Dan - can make the data
available. I take this opportunity to invite all who have interest in this
area to contribute ideas and participate in the debate on public data at
Digitaliser.dk (http://digitaliser.dk/group/237756).
Also there is probably going to be some sort of CodeCamp / Open Data Camp in
september to bring civil servants and coders together and create
applications with Open Data on the spot. Somewhat like the Dutch
http://hackdeoverheid.nl sessions of 2008,2009 and 2010 and the UK 'Hack the
government day' in 2008.

If any of the Danish subscribers to this list are interested, and not
already in contact with Cathrine Lippert at ITST do let me know, so we can
build a connection between you and ITST. It might also be worthwile if you
are a Danish blogger to provide some coverage of the science minister's
statement, so the word gets out more. That probably will help make it
reality sooner. :)

best,

Ton
Interdependent Thoughts