[euopendata] Harmonisation on "public domain" metadata in Europe?

Peter Krantz peter.krantz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 21:08:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 21:12, Jordan S Hatcher
<jordan at opencontentlawyer.com> wrote:

> -- CC0 (Creative Commons) and the Open Data Commons PDDL (Public Domain Dedication and License) are two public domain legal tools that allow for an assertion of something being in the public domain (as in free from copyright and database rights).

As I have understood CC0 requires the original copyright holder to use
it: "A person using CC0 (called the “affirmer” in the legal code)
waives all of his or her copyright and neighboring and related rights
in a work" [1]. I am looking for a way for a cultural institution that
has pictures with expired copyright (i.e. not the original copyright
holder) to declare that a work is free to use to the fullest extent.

The PDDL looks like it could be closer to what I am after but it talks
a lot about databases?

Regards,

Peter

[1]: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CC0_FAQ