[euopendata] Terminology: PSI-data vs Open Data

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jan 12 11:50:12 UTC 2011

+1 Antti. ;-)

The idea of a clear, explicit definition of 'open data' is partly why
we started: http://www.opendefinition.org/

We're currently working on building consensus about this in relation
to 'open government data', by talking to a range of high level
stakeholders to encourage the emergence of some consensus between key,
leading initiatives in this area.

PSI is not to be conflated with 'open government data' but is a much
broader term with a longer history. PSI policy *may* include
discussion of 'open government data', but by no means is all PSI open,
or meant to be open. 'Open government data' is a subset of 'PSI' like
'open source software' is a subset of 'software'. It is nevertheless a
useful blanket term for talking about information produced by public
bodies. I understand it is (as Antti comments) in some ways quite a
EU-centric term, but has traction and is widely recognised
internationally, e.g. used by the OECD for a meeting on this area in
2006 [1].

In my mind the terminological distinction is important so that we do
not start to create the impression that 'open data' is just government
material (PSI) that is freely available online. Crucially open data
must be usable by anyone with a minimum of restriction (at most
attribution, and, possibly, integrity or sharealike requirements).

Jonathan

[1] http://www.oecd.org/document/17/0,2340,en_2649_33757_36860241_1_1_1_1,00.html