[euopendata] Study says charge for public data...

Federico Morando federico.morando at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:54:19 UTC 2011

I'll go through this report with interest, however I still have to see a
single case in which selling data is a good idea... most of the time,
transaction costs are higher than revenues, if the sale is done on a
non-discriminatory base... or the state makes money but at the cost of
creating a downstream monopoly with double marginalization (which is a
nightmare in terms of social welfare)... All that without considering
the argument that a broader free re-use could generate higher income
from taxation.

That said, I repeat that I should read this report carefully...

Best,

Federico