[euopendata] Fwd: Study says charge for public data...

Paola Di Maio paola.dimaio at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:40:27 UTC 2011

Hjalmar

thanks for reply -

One of my concerns is that a lot of public funding is poured into private
sector
as 'research funding', for which the taxpayers who generated the funding
initially never get to see the benefits of (except for the few entrepreneurs
and employees who work for them)

re argument 1
agree that startups may need incentives, and would not have a problem
negotiating favourable conditions with enterprise networks for startups,,
provided any private entreprise reaching break even point  will be treated
as any other private enterprise

re. argument 2 - I dont think so

Successful commercial enterprises are beneficial to the economy as

a whole (and thereby the government) as they pay salaries, taxes, and

buy goods and services from other companies that do the same.

No, successful commercial enterprises are beneficial to those individuals
who
agree to be part of an economic system which is exploitative, wasteful and
neither fair nor sustainable in nature. The economic system as it is (at
national, international and global level) is absurd, it has been absurd
throughout modern history [1]. But until now, it has been difficult to
change.

Those who try to change the economy by distributing resources more evenly,
get nowhere, because entire societies and economies are based on the
concentration of wealth and political hegemony of a few are not letting it
happen (by manipulating knowledge through the media, or fostering
'exclusion', forcing 'scarcity' etc etc )

 By contrast, more distributed economic systems capable of allocating more
evenly political and economic powers more inclusively (irrespective of
people's beliefs and political views for example) are consistently
dismissed.  through the active manipulation of financing and of the
mechanism to introduce innovation  (sorry, rant!). Investors tend to  'bet'
money where they have higher profits, do not care what happens to the planet
and the rest of the world.

I am firmly convinced that the open data movement should work to contrast
the vices of a destructive economic and political system, and still continue
to encourage small enterprise proliferation and innovation etc

PDM

[1]
The Growth Illusion: How Economic Growth Has Enriched the Few, Impoverished
the Many and Endangered the Planet  Richard
Douthwaite<http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=books-uk&field-author=Richard%20Douthwaite>

5.0 out of 5 stars
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1870098765/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1>
 Se<http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/1870098765/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1>