[euopendata] [psi-workers] Update on pan-European open data competition

Paul Meller paul at openforumeurope.org
Tue Mar 15 13:00:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Paul Meller from Openforum Academy here. Quick introduction. OFA
http://openforumacademy.org/ has been working on an open data competition
since before Christmas. We agreed to pool forces with OKF for an event in
June, which is why I've been added to this list. OFA is a recently created
sister organization to Openforum Europe. We have Google and IBM, two of our
members, involved with the competition and hope to get more corporate
participation in the coming weeks. We have been in touch with Neelie Kroes'
office and have been assured that she will hand out prizes at the Digital
Assembly event on June 16/17.

Regarding prizes, Jose I like the idea of a 'best dataset opened' category.
But how do you judge one data liberation against another? Maybe it could be
a race to see who can liberate the most data during the duration of the
datafest, and measure it in bites of data. So instead of 'best dataset
opened', 'most datasets opened'. Any thoughts?

However, the main focus of the competition should be on innovative reuse of
the data. That should be reflected in the prizes. Kudos is a big driver but
I think we need to offer cash for the apps developers; we want to get the
best quality entries possible.

On submission of ideas, I don't have a problem with text submissions.
Andreas, this part of the competition is aimed at people with ideas but not
necessarily the skills or the time to realize them. Video submissions would
be nicer from a presentational point of view, even if they were just a
talking head explaining their idea filmed on a smart phone and posted on
Youtube. But text submissions should be allowed too.

We also need to start thinking about judges. I suggest a panel of five, to
include well known names from the open data community, a senior European
Commission official and one OFA Fellow. They should come from as many EU
countries as possible. If there's general support for this I'll look into
the Commission official and the OFA Fellow. Any suggestions re the open data
community?

Apologies for such a long email. I'll keep them short in future.

Regards,
Paul
+32 497 322 966