[euopendata] [psi-workers] Update on pan-European open data competition

Jose L. Marin josmar at gateway-scs.es
Tue Mar 15 15:42:08 UTC 2011

El 15/03/11 16:28, Daniel Dietrich escribió:
>> Regarding prizes, Jose I like the idea of a 'best dataset opened' category. But how do you judge one data liberation against another? Maybe it could be a race to see who can liberate the most data during the duration of the datafest, and measure it in bites of data. So instead of 'best dataset opened', 'most datasets opened'. Any thoughts?
> I also like the idea for an extra price on "best/most data opened" next to the main prices for applications. I think we could come up with a set of criteria, such as one "star" for:
>
> - PSI that was not available before at all
> - PSI that was somehow available before but now is available:
> 	- in an open / machine processable format
> 	- as raw data for bulk download
> 	- via an API
> 	- under an open* license
> - PSI of high public or economic interest (hard to judge)
>
> We could also simply go with Tim Berners-Lee's "5 star meme" for linked data:
>
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
> also see: http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/2010/lod-badges/

Adding to Daniel ideas, which cover main possibilities, I would suggest
to ask the PSI holders to write a brief justification in terms of
potential commercial value or potential impact in citizens life (for me
the most important criteria with the format). This way it would be
easier for the jury to judge.

I do not like the idea of rewarding only the size of the dataset or a
linked data release.

--
José Luis Marín de la Iglesia
http://twitter.com/jluismarin