[euopendata] SharePSI Workshop summary, maps of barriers and solutions to open data

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Thu May 19 12:17:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have worked my way through the slides and notes of the SharePSI workshop
in the past days. In total just under a hundred barriers were identified,
and over 640 solutions/drivers/interventions to surmount those barriers.

That list of barriers and solutions I've then tried to map and cluster, to
see what patterns emerge. Those patterns have formed the basis for the
discussion summary that is now finished in draft and which I just sent to
the EC, Margot and Thomas for feedback.

Clusters in barriers that I see:

   - Access to data
   - Getting from access to reuse to viable business models (the innovation
   path, transition path for reusers)
   - Transition of government
   - Cost of transition
   - Disrupting existing markets and existing government revenue models
   - Linked and federated data as step to maturity
   - Licensing
   - Privacy

When it comes to suggestions and tried solutions to surmount those barriers
you see they cover those same barrier clusters (not surprising, as most
barriers were mentioned in the context of also mentioning ways of overcoming
them)
What also stands out is that "it must come from the top, the middle, and the
bottom" is visible in the suggested solutions, but also several other axis
of action:
- small to large scale efforts
- short term, medium term, long term actions and aims
- facilitating the transition, vs creating the 'new normal'
and as mentioned
- top, middle, bottom

On all those axis, at each point along the scale, actions/solutions are
mentioned. Together we as stakeholders are taking it all on, and all in
parallel. Doing things here and now, but with the horizon in mind, you could
say. Also because smaller, nearer things help build the case for larger,
longer things. "Nobody knows what this is about yet" sums it all up quite
nicely (and I mean that in a positive way)

With the summary written (you can see and comment it here
https://daa.co-ment.com/text/GXXnDNBIU68/view/ ), I am now building a few
images to show all the remarks as they form the clusters.
I've finished two maps of the first few clusters of barriers, will continue
to build more images.

Please find attached
- a spreadsheet with all remarks I took from the notes and slides
- an image that maps out the mentioned barriers connected to the transition
process and the cost of transition.
- an image that maps out the mentioned barriers from getting access to data
to building viable business on it (the innovation path for reusers)

I would appreciate any feedback whether these maps are interesting to you or
not.

best,

Ton
Interdependent Thoughts