[euopendata] [open-government] The Closed World of Company Data

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 11:16:35 UTC 2012

Jonathan

We actually cite New Zealand in the report as an example of a country
that's doing it right. I'd probably score them 90-95, mainly down to the
licence.

The info on NZ companies on OpenCorporates was actually scraped, but we've
now been given an API key (there's no fee, though you have to go through a
few hoops to get one), but they are transitioning between the old SOAP API
to a new REST one, which uses a fairly complex authentication system. We've
done the code for it, but the error message are a bit vague. We'll
definitely sort it out, but it had to be put on one side for a little
while. Aiming to get it working next month, and then we'll have all the
directors info, and other stuff.

Hope this helps

Chris
OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
Blog: http://blog.opencorporates.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/OpenCorporates

On 18 April 2012 11:43, Andrew Ecclestone <andrew at ecclestone.net> wrote:

> It is a great shame that New Zealand is not a member of the OGP.  It has a
> lot more to offer, as well as much to learn.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Andrew
>
> On 18 Apr 2012, at 10:38 PM, Jonathan Hunt wrote:
>
> On 18/04/2012, at 10:02 PM, Helen Darbishire wrote:
> > OpenCorporates’ report, “The Closed World of Company Data” finds that of
> 55 countries surveyed, the average score for public access to the company
> register is just 21 out of 100 points. The UK scored highest by a long way
> with 70 points out of 100, followed by the Czech Republic with 50 points,
> with the Slovak Republic and Albania (45 points each) also giving good
> public access to companies registers.
>
> This is a useful report and thank you Helen for making it available.
>
> It's a shame New Zealand is not a member of OGP so was not considered for
> the report.
>
> Based on a quick examination of http://www.business.govt.nz/companies, my
> quick assessment is that NZ would score along the lines of:
> Free & open search (30): 30
> Licensing Open: 15 (out of 30, personal and in-house use allowed,
> non-commercial and derivatives not mentioned)
> Available as (open) data: 0 (but perhaps 20 depending on the source for
> http://opencorporates.com/companies/nz )
> Directors information: 10
> Statutory findings: 10
> Shareholders information: 10
> Total (out of 100 points): 75-95
>
> BTW, there seems to be an error in the scoring since the total available
> points sum to 110.
>
> Regards
> Jonathan

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture