[euopendata] Analysis: "The Four Seasons of the Arab Spring - How EU institutions dealt with the Arab Spring in 2011"

Parlorama contact at parlorama.eu
Wed Feb 15 10:14:05 UTC 2012

*Dear all,
*

 <http://www.parlorama.eu/>*

*Parlorama <http://www.parlorama.eu/>*, has released a *study on the **handling
of the “Arab Spring” by EU institutions in 2011: “The Four Seasons of the
Arab Spring” *(available in English and in French).

We have more specifically studied the *works of the European Parliament and
the European Commission* (the European External Action Service
precisely) *directly
linked to the Arab Spring*: EP debates, resolutions, statements by the High
Representative.

25 keywords were chosen so as to get a precise interpretive lens of the
works and documents studied: democracy, human rights, repression,
dictatorship, transition, reform, election, etc.

*Our study consists in**:*

- an 18-page analysis of the 10 axes retrieved from the data gathered
(available
via our webpage<http://www.parlorama.eu/en/2012/02/les-quatre-saisons-du-printemps-arabe/>
):

*
*

*> The Arab Spring in the EU institutions*

*> Syria, the country EU institutions mentioned the most*

*> Gaddafi, the leader EU institutions mentioned the most*

*> Diverging keywords according to the different EU institutions*

*> The EU "supports" more than it "condemns"*

*> The EU shows "support" more than "solidarity"*

*> Dictatorships for the Parliament but not for the Commission*

*> On the firmness of the EU diplomacy
*

*> A mainly symbolic recognition of the role of women in the Arab Spring*

*> Case study: Syria*

******
********

- a spreadsheet of all the data gathered with tabs on (available via our
webpage<http://www.parlorama.eu/en/2012/02/les-quatre-saisons-du-printemps-arabe/>
):

**

*  > General data on the European Parliament treatement of the Arab Spring*

*  > The summarizing tab of the keywords found in the EP resolutions*

*  > General data on the High Representative treatement of the Arab Spring*

*> The summarizing tab of the keywords found in the High Representative
statements*

*> The summarizing tab of the keywords found in the debates on the Arab
Spring at the EP
*

*> Summarising tabs of the keywords occurrences in all the sources analysed
*

*          > Summarising tabs for our case study on Syria*

- a zip file of all the High Representative statements classified
webpage<http://www.parlorama.eu/en/2012/02/les-quatre-saisons-du-printemps-arabe/>
)

We intend this work to be spread and deepened (that is why we decided to
publicized our database).

I will be happy to reply to your questions regarding this study.

Anne-Charlotte Oriol

*Parlorama*

contact at parlorama.eu
0032(0)2.514.74.98