[euopendata] [open-government] Open Legislative Data Conference in Paris - July 6-7

Andrew G. Mandelbaum andrew.g.mandelbaum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:27:14 UTC 2012

Greetings Benjamin and others,

We at the National Democratic Institute <http://www.ndi.org/> (NDI) are
also very excited about the Regards Citoyens-SciencePo-MediaLab conference
on open legislative data in Paris.  It sounds like a great opportunity for
parliamentary monitoring organizations (or “PMOs” in our lingo) to share
their exciting and innovative work and ideas, which have contributed to
citizen understanding and engagement in parliamentary processes worldwide.
In addition to attending ourselves, we hope to be able to support the
participation of a few more PMOs in the conference as well.

On a similar and complementary note, we will be sending a save the date
announcement shortly for a conference for global PMO leaders that NDI plans
to co-host from April 30-May 2 with the Sunlight
Foundation<http://sunlightfoundation.com/>
, Latin American Network for Legislative
Transparency<http://www.transparencialegislativa.org/>(which Maria
Baron has mentioned below),
 World Bank Institute <http://wbi.worldbank.org/wbi/>, and the Embassy of
Mexico in the United States <http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/eua/>.  The
conference (in Washington, DC) seeks to foster discussion among PMOs on a
parliamentary transparency “pledge” that can be used to advocate for
increased parliamentary transparency and openness both internationally and
domestically.  We also hope to explore potential opportunities to raise the
international debate on parliamentary transparency, like the Open
Government Partnership (OGP), which the Embassy of Mexico and
Fundar<http://fundar.org.mx/index.html/>,
an excellent PMO that has worked with the government of Mexico to create
its OGP commitments, will help to discuss.

A main goal of this conference is to provide a forum for PMOs to develop
concrete ideas for future collaborative activities; summertime in Paris
sounds like a great time and place to build upon the ideas and
collaborative spirit that we hope to generate in Washington in spring.

We’re planning to release additional information about the PMO Leaders
Conference through the Agora Portal for Parliamentary
Development<http://www.agora-parl.org/>,
including a draft parliamentary transparency pledge that we will post for
discussion. We would very much welcome feedback from this group.  If you
would like to sign up for Agora, please email me privately (
amandelbaum at ndi.org) and I’ll request a login for you.

Best,

Andrew

Andrew G. Mandelbaum