[euopendata] Moral clauses in data terms & conditions?

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed May 28 07:11:11 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

some data points:

The national Norwegian early draft national license used to have a
statement like that (
http://www.epsiplatform.eu/content/norway-discusses-psi-licensing-model),
but they moved away from it quickly (
http://www.epsiplatform.eu/content/norwegian-data-license-feedback-request)
and the final version does not have such a statement (
http://data.norge.no/nlod/en/1.0).

Dutch government bodies who think they need their own license sometimes add
it, but the national policy is CC0 and/or Public Domain.

The Flemish government (Belgium) has a suite of licenses (in which CC0 is
the preferred option), for gov bodies to choose from. Their 'by
attribution'  and other licenses (paid for data, paid for commercial reuse,
who are both discouraged by Flemish gov) however does state "The licensee
commits to avoiding any unlawful re-use of the product" (
http://www.opendataforum.info/files/Modellicenties_ENG.pdf)

The French national open data license does not mention 'illegal' use but
does state:
"The «Re-user» is solely responsible for its re-use of the « Information
»." http://wiki.data.gouv.fr/images/0/05/Open_Licence.pdf
As it obviously should be.

In general I suspect inclusion of the 'illegal use' clause is born out of
the data holders fear for liability, not out of wanting to regulate reuse.

In that light: The Dutch government's standardisation body issued a report
on open data liability risks for government bodies (in Dutch only:
http://www.forumstandaardisatie.nl/fileadmin/os/documenten/Rapportage_open_data_en_aansprakelijkheid_def.pdf)
which rules out risks for gov bodies due to malintented reuse of data they
publish placing that responsibility on the shoulders of the reuser.

best,
Ton

Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra