[FOSsil-bank] FOSsil Bank Update (31 August 2013)

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 06:16:52 UTC 2013

Well, it’s been a long time since the last update! There’s a lot of stuff
this time, and it’s heavily skewed towards free, libre and open (because
that’s the content that I can be bothered creating entries for).

Permanent version:
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/fossil-bank-update-31-august/

Brief Survey

Hi folks,

I’d appreciate it if you could answer these two questions for me – either
on this list, or email directly to me.

   1.

   *What is stopping you from contributing to FOSsil Bank?
   *When I set up the FOSsil Bank, I expected members of the community to
   contribute to the catalogue. After a few years, about 99% of the 1000+
   entries were added by me. I don’t resent this, but I’d like to get more
   involvement from others.
   2.

   *Does having the raw links instead of hyperlinks change your experience?
   *It’s a bit faster for me to copy-paste the URL rather than set up a
   hyperlink. But if that reduces readability, I’ll change back.

#FundFreeCulture

*Tupi* is 2D animation software on Kickstarter. (GNU GPL; 26 days to go;
$1,939/$30,000):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/175927790/tupi-2d-animation-software-for-everyone

*App-Make-inator* from Lunduke is on Bountysource. (GNU GPL; 25 days to go;
$248/$3,500): https://www.bountysource.com/fundraisers/468

*Josh Woodward* is on Patreon. He’s already created two songs, and we could
always do with more! (CC BY; $202.65/song):
http://www.patreon.com/joshwoodward

*Stick’s Masterpiece *sadly failed to fund on Kickstarter. However, you can
buy it from their website. (CC BY-SA; $2,129/$7,700):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/256329797/sticks-masterpiece-hardcover-childrens-book;
http://brotherswhim.com/product/sticks-masterpiece-hardcover-book

*Terry Hancock’s Lunatics* pilot episode sadly failed to fund on
Kickstarter. (CC BY-SA; $2,081/$42,000):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2144275086/finish-lunatics-pilot-episode

*The Open Bundle *was successfully funded. ($12,088/$10,000)
http://open.commonly.cc/

*Librivox’s* fundraising drive is over, but they could always use more!
http://librivox.org/2013/07/03/librivox-needs-your-help-2/

The second *Future of Copyright Contest* on
IndieGoGo<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/future-of-copyright-contest-2-0>made
it. (CC BY-SA; $1,056/$500)

*Data Dealer * <http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cuteacute/data-dealer>is
an online game about collecting and selling personal data. It was
successful (CC BY-SA; $28,720/$50,362)
New Free, Libre and Open Works My Projects

*A Free, Libre and Open Glossary *(CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:a-free-libre-and-open-glossary

*Future of Copyright 2.0 *is a collection of fiction and non-fiction on
copyright; I submitted a short story (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:future-of-copyright-2-0
Music and Radio

*TINT *is a sports podcast (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:tint

*Doug Whitfield *is a free culture advocate, host of TINT and a
photographer (CC BY-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:doug-whitfield

*Copyleft Song *is a metal song about why libre is so important (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:copyleft-notice

Jonathan Coulton’s only free/libre/open song, *Wikipedia Chanukah*, is a
reading of the Wikipedia article (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:wikipedia-chanukah

*Unseen Studio *is a podcast network promoting Creative Commons culture and
open source software (plays libre and proprietary music):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:unseen-studio

CC-licensed music, 24/7 with *RynoTheBearded *(plays libre and proprietary
music): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:rynothebearded

*CCHits *plays Creative Commons music based on public preferences (libre
and proprietary): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:cchits

*Rathole Radio *is a fortnightly Internet radio show (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:rathole-radio

*MMO *is a catchy band (CC BY-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:mmo
Information

*The Foundations for an Open Source City *is a book on how Raleigh, NC,
became an ‘open source city’. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-foundations-for-an-open-source-city

*Diagonal* is a Spanish language periodical (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:diagonal

*The Data Journalism Handbook *is now available in French, Spanish and
Russian (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:data-journalism-handbook

*OpenChem *is an entire chemistry curriculum (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:openchem

*New Education Highway *is a non-profit working with OER and local
educators (CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:new-education-highway

A discussion of OER in *Perspectives on Open and Distance Learning *(CC
BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:perspectives-on-open-and-distance-learning

*Choosing an OSS License Doesn’t Need to be Scary *is a Github initiative
(CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:choosing-an-oss-license-doesnt-need-to-be-scary

*Right to Music *advocates for free, fair and independent music (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:right-to-music

*Lawrence Liang *is a lawyer who has writtten about free culture (CC BY; CC
BY-NC-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:lawrence-liang

He wrote *A Guide to Open Content Licenses *(CC BY-NC-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:a-guide-to-open-content-licenses

The *Australian Census data from 2011 *(CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:australian-census-2011

*Trolling Effects *is a resource for those sued by patent trolls (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:trolling-effects
Film and Video

*The Nordic CC Film Festival *highlights a lot of terrific films (all CC
licences): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:nordic-cc-film-festival

*Living Room* is a musical stop-motion short film about the secret life of
chewing gum (CC BY-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:living-room

*Free Fall *is a short film about a boy who dreams of being an astronaut
(CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:free-fall

*Deconstructing Masculinity *is a film about gender norms (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:deconstructing-masculinity

*Las Calles Hablan *is a movie about Barcelona street art (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:las-calles-hablan

A documentary on open programming languages, *Hello World *(CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:hello-world

*Caminades *is a very short and funny animated film about a llama trying to
cross a busy road (CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:caminades

*Big Buck Bunny Loves Creative Commons *explains why CC is so important (CC
BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:big-buck-bunny-loves-creative-commons

*Tube *is the first independent Blender movie (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:tube
Art and Literature

Successfully ransomed, the *Open Game Art Bundle *can now be downloaded by
any person (CC0):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-open-game-art-bundle

Photos by Joi Ito and writings from others in *FreeSouls.cc *(CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:freesouls

The *Brothers Whim *create beautiful children’s picture books (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:brothers-whim

*The Comic Strip Library *is a library of public domain comic strips
(public domain): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-comic-strip-library

*Hoborg *is an experiment in crowdsourced fiction writing (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:hoborg
Software

Find free, libre and open replacements to software on *Prism Break *(GNU
GPL): (http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:prism-break

The server-side code to the *Estonian electronic voting system *is
available for scrutiny (CC BY-NC-ND):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:evalimine

*KA Lite *is software that allows Khan Academy videos to be watched offline
(MIT License): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:ka-lite

*pdfreaders.org *is a collection of free, libre and open PDF readers
(libre): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:pdfreaders-org
Electronic Games

*Moonshades *is a dungeon-crawling computer game you can play online (CC
BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:moonshades

*Bryan Lunduke *designs electronic games for a living (GNU GPL, CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:lunduke
Tabletop Games

*E6* is ‘the game inside D&D’; a simpler, low-level-only version of the
game (OGL): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:e6

*A Spark in Fate Core *brings collaborative worldbuilding to the Fate
roleplaying game (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:a-spark-in-fate-core

*Men of Stones *is a Shakespeare-inspired tabletop game (OGL):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:men-of-stones

*Pantheon *is a storytelling game about a hero’s journey and the gods
(public domain): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:pantheon

*Quick-Play *is a simple, generic RPG (public domain):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:quick-play

*Destiny Dice *mixes up the dice used in the Fate RPG (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:destiny-dice

*Weird World *is an RPG based on Apocalypse World (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:weird-world

*Beyond Belief Games *has converted Swords & Wizardry to other settings
(OGL): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:beyond-belief-games

*Phantom 52 *is a supernatural RPG (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:phantom-52

*Johnstone Metzger *has written books for the Dungeon World RPG (CC BY-SA;
CC BY-NC): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:johnstone-metzger
Non-FLO

*The Accessible Icon Symbol *would like to use a more dynamic disabled
access symbol (CC BY-NC-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-accessible-icon-project

*Ampersand *is a political, progressive comic (CC BY-NC-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:ampersand

*Autodesk *has licensed its support (CC BY-NC-ND; CC BY-NC-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:autodesk

---

Cheers,

Chris