[FOSsil-bank] FOSsil Bank Update (7 December)

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:37:17 UTC 2013

A longer delay between updates than I usually like to leave it, partly
because I finished writing and submitted my Honours thesis – 13,000 words
on a proposed copyright reform. I'm looking into how I can share it with
everyone.

*#FundFreeCulture*

If you spot a chance to #FundFreeCulture, shoot me an email and tweet about
it!
Newly spotted

*The Public Domain Review Store *has launched! Buy posters and prints taken
(and usually adapted) from public domain works (prices start at around
$21): http://publicdomainreview.org/store/

*Linux Voice* is a new magazine about everyone's favourite operating system
from much of the team behind *Linux Format*; after nine months, all content
from an issue will be CC BY-SA licensed (17 days to go; £81,893/£90,000):
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/linux-voice

*RK3: The Third Verse *is an adventure module for the *Dungeon World *tabletop
roleplaying game. The text is CC BY-SA; layout and art is proprietary. ($6
PDF, $14 hardcopy)
http://redboxvancouver.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/rk3-the-third-verse/
Ongoing

Alessandro of *unPlayable Games* is on Patreon. $3 gets you access to all
his games (CC BY or BY-SA): http://www.patreon.com/unPlayableGames?u=45749

Show some love to *Plee the Bear*, a platform game. (GNU GPL and CC BY-SA;
€476.79/€1112.79) http://funding.openinitiative.com/funding/1702/
Concluded

*Synfig Studio* is free and open source animation software ($1,175/$1,120;
successfully funded):
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/set-your-priorities-for-synfig-development-in-december-2013

The *Homebrew Computer Club Reunion* didn't make its stretch goal, so it
looks like photos from a professional photographer won't be CC BY licensed
($28,026/$16,000; successfully funded):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jpf/homebrew-computer-club-reunion

*Angel* is the first open source sensor for health and fitness, and it’s on
IndieGoGo! ($334,521/$100,000; successfully funded):
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/angel-the-first-open-sensor-for-health-and-fitness

*Open Well-Tempered Clavier – Ba©h to Bach* is a project to score and
record Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier – including stretch goals to make the
scores accessible to the blind ($44,083/$30,000; successfully concluded):
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/293573191/open-well-tempered-clavier-bah-to-bach

*App-Make-inator* from Lunduke is on Bountysource. (GNU GPL; $488/$3,500;
flexible funding): https://www.bountysource.com/fundraisers/468

*Living Libre Updates*

I've blogged a bit and hope to do so more regularly from now on.

*'Bespoke Copyright' or 'Shareable Society' *were my two suggestions of a
sister brand to Creative Commons. The idea is that CC could 'gift' the
non-free, libre and open licences to a sister brand, leaving the Creative
Commons brand for just CC0, CC BY and CC BY-SA (those licences that
contribute to a single creative commons):
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/11/22/bespoke-copyright-or-shareable-society-a-new-brand-for-non-free-creative-commons-licences/

*Which Parts of Creative Commons #giveopen List are Actually Free, Libre
and Open? *I go through each suggestion and describe whether (and to what
extent) it is FLO licensed. Four of the ten gift suggestions are:
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/12/04/which-parts-of-creative-commons-giveopen-list-are-actually-free-libre-and-open/

*Which Parts of opensource.com <http://opensource.com> 'Ultimate Open
Source Gift Guide' are Actually Free, Libre and Open? *As with Creative
Commons above. About six to eight of the twenty suggestions are; it's
complicated by the fact that a few are hybrids with a combination of FLO
and proprietary content:
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/which-parts-of-opensource-com-ultimate-open-source-gift-guide-are-actually-free-libre-and-open/

*A Truly Free, Libre and Open Gift Guide – First Notes *is my collection of
brief notes on twenty three products you can buy that are either FLO in
their entirety or are a hybrid of FLO and proprietary content:
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/a-truly-free-libre-and-open-gift-guide-first-notes/

*New FLO Content on the FOSsil Bank*

*Information*

*RecordAGrave *is a website that hosts photographs of and data from
gravesites (CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:recordagrave

*Right2Remix *is a website that advocates for legal remixing (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:right2remix

*Australian Digital Alliance *is a body founded by former Chief Justice of
the Australian High Court Anthony Mason to provide a 'balanced voice' in
copyright discussions – and is currently pushing for fair use reforms here
(CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:australian-digital-alliance

*#COPYWRONG *is a website that shows facts about how Australian copyright
law is out of touch with current practice (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:copywrong

*Creationistas *is a lobbying site in favour of fair use (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:creationistas

*Saga Machine *is a tabletop RPG (OGL):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:saga-machine

*Renaissance *is a tabletop RPG for playing in the age of blackpowder
weapons (OGL): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:renaissance

*Techdirt *is a tech news site with a – sadly vague – annoucement that
people are free to use their articles however they like:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:techdirt

*Tabletop games*

*Conquering Corsairs *is a deckbuilding card game under CC BY-NC; the art
is CC BY-SA and hosted by the Prismatic Art Collection. It has a nautical
theme; the PDF is gratis but hardcopies are available for purchase:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:conquering-corsairs

*Group Works *is a deck of cards that can be used to spice up meetings and
other collections of humans (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:group-works

*Daring Adventures *is a tabletop RPG of quick, no-prep superhero
roleplaying. (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:daring-adventures

*Unlikely Treasures 1 *is a PDF of treasures for dungeoncrawling tabletop
RPGs (CC BY-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:unlikely-treasures-1

*Codename: Spandex *is a clone of *Golden Heroes, *an out-of-print
superhero tabletop RPG (public domain):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/work:codename-spandex

*Quest-ions *is a short fantasy tabletop roleplaying game with a novelty
token mechanic (CC BY-SA): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:quest-ions

*Fantastic Heroes & Witchery *is an extensive tabletop RPG (OGL):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:fantastic-heroes-witchery

*Other*

*Subaqueous *is a solo music project to creative progressive mid tempo and
dance music. The musician (Isaac Cotec) sells a USB, the samples, stems and
instruments on which are CC BY-SA licensed:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:subaqueous

The art assets of 2D MMORPG *Glitch *are now public domain. Some really
lovely stuff here: http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:glitch-the-game

Defying his or her name, Lazy_bastard has made a lot of improvements
to the *Arduino
*page (CC BY-SA, GNU GPL and LGPL):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:arduino

*Contraptor *is a DIY hardware set (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:contraptor

*New Proprietary Shareable Content on the FOSsil Bank*

*Phylo *is a crowdsourced, transparently developed card game that tries to
correct that fact that children know more about Pokemon than about
real-world animals. CC BY-NC-ND or CC BY-NC-SA (conflicting reports):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:conquering-corsairs

Till next time,

Chris

*Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
<http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*