[FOSsil-bank] FOSsil Bank Update (25 February 2014)

Chris Sakkas sanglorian at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 00:24:38 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

It's been two and a half months, so there's quite an amount of updates
stored up. I've splitted this update in two - I'll post the second half
next week.

Thanks to *Leonard Kirke* who identified several CC0 works and sources to
be added to the FOSsil Bank. Remember that you can always send me details
of libre works that are missing from the FOSsil Bank if you don't feel
comfortable adding them yourself.

---

In a review of 2013 in tabletop gaming, open licensing got a mention:
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2014/01/03/2013-in-tabletop-gaming-open-licensing-gets-a-mention/
#FundFreeCulture

If you spot a chance to #FundFreeCulture, shoot me an email and tweet about
it!

I tweet from https://twitter.com/living_libre

@crowdfundFLOSS is a Twitter account that posts about crowdfunding libre
software: https://twitter.com/crowdfundfloss

The *Patreon *page on the FOSsil Bank collects Patreon projects with a
#FundFreeCulture component - whether that's the entire work, or text only:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/patreon

Since the last update:

   -

   Josh Woodward (songs): http://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=175883
   -

   Rafu (tabletop RPGs): http://www.patreon.com/rafu&ty=2
   -

   The Fate Codex (for the tabletop RPG Fate):
   http://www.patreon.com/Trumonz

The* #FundFreeCulture *page collects free, libre and open sources and works
that are - in some way - for sale or use donations as a funding model:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/fundfreeculture
*New*

*Powers **F**or Good *is a new superhero tabletop RPG from Sage Latorra
(one of the people behind *Dungeon World, *a popular libre RPG) (pay what
you want, including nothing):
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/126205/Powers-For-Good-%230

*Shattered Time *is an open source computer RPG on Kickstarter (CC BY;
Apache) (10 days left, $2,348/$100,000):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90524059/shattered-time-open-source-crpg

*Internet Archive *had a December fundraising drive, but you can still
donate now: https://archive.org/donate/

Frustrated by 'open' gift guides that included CC ND and NC works (or
downright all rights reserved ones!) I created a free, libre and open gift
guide:
http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/a-truly-free-libre-and-open-gift-guide-first-notes/
*Ongoing*

*The Public Domain Review Store **is operating*! Buy posters and prints
taken (and usually adapted) from public domain works (prices start at
around $21): http://publicdomainreview.org/store/

*RK3: The Third Verse *is an adventure module for the *Dungeon World *tabletop
roleplaying game. The text is CC BY-SA; layout and art is proprietary. ($6
PDF, $14 hardcopy)
http://redboxvancouver.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/rk3-the-third-verse/
Concluded

*Linux Voice *is a new magazine about everyone's favourite operating system
from much of the team behind Linux Format; after nine months, all content
from an issue will be CC BY-SA licensed (successfully funded;
£127,603/£90,000): http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/linux-voice

*Revenge of the Cats *is an oddly named experimental FPS (GPL, CC BY 4.0)
(successfully funded; $1697/$1500):
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/resurrect-revenge-of-the-cats-ethernet-as-open-source-project
Libre works and sources

*Jono Bacon *runs Wired magazine, is involved in Ubuntu and is a member of
the band Severed Fifth (CC BY-SA, CC BY-NC-SA, among others):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:jono-bacon
Music

*Severed Fifth *is a heavy metal band including Jono Bacon, that has
released three albums (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:severed-fifth

*Give Life Back to Music *is the first public domain music label (Public
Domain Mark): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:give-life-back-to-music

*Season of Gratitude *is a collection of Christmas songs from remix website
ccMixter (CC BY-NC-SA, CC BY-NC, CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:season-of-gratitude

*Free! Music! Sampler *is a collection of 36 songs under Creative Commons
licences, of which 13 are libre:
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:free-music-sampler
*Information*

*The Peeragogy Handbook *describes a system for collaborative learning and
collaborative work (CC0):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-peeragogy-handbook

*Copyright Week *is an information campaign from EFF about problems with
copyright (CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:copyright-week

*WikiPremed MCAT Course *aims to lower the financial barriers to becoming a
doctor and improve the quality of MCAT review (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:wikipremed-mcat-course

*The First 100 Days of Government *is Australia's Abbott Government's
description of its accomplishments (CC BY):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:the-first-100-days-of-government

*OERu *is a collection of online courses offered by world-class
institutions (CC BY): http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:oeru

*Oil Contracts *is a >200 page book on how oil contracts work (CC BY-SA):
http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/entry:oil-contracts

Cheers,

Chris

*Chris Sakkas**Admin of the FOSsil Bank wiki
<http://fossilbank.wikidot.com/> and the Living Libre blog
<http://www.livinglibre.com> and Twitter feed
<https://twitter.com/#%21/living_libre>.*